Maintenance of Certification
Maintenance of Certification
Developed by the International Board of Lifestyle Medicine, Maintenance of Certification (MOC) is a pathway to maintaining your Lifestyle Medicine Certification via Continuing Professional Development.
As Certification only remains valid for 10 years, all candidates are required to either re-sit the Certification exam every 10 years, or enrol in the MOC program.
While the choice is yours, the MOC pathway is more cost effective and is conveniently delivered via our online learning system.
Please note you can withdraw from the MOC program at any time, but this will require you to re-sit the international Board Certification exam every 10 years to retain your Certification. Candidates who opt out of the MOC program are not eligible to re-enrol at a later time.
Announcement: The 2023 MOC Program is now available. Please enrol now, or click the “Already enrolled” button below to complete your MOC before December 31st, 2023.
Enrol in the MOC program
Once you have been issued with your Lifestyle Medicine Certification, you can enrol in the MOC program. You are required to enrol in the MOC program within 3 months of your Certification exam date.
Complete all annual and 5-yearly CPD requirements
Failure to meet these requirements will result in an automatic removal from the MOC program; requiring you to re-sit the international Board Certification exam every 10 years to retain your Certification. Candidates who are removed from or opt out of the MOC program are ineligible to re-enrol at a later time. See below for more information about the MOC requirements.
Submit proof of your credentials every 10 years
To be issued with your new IBLM Certificate every 10 years, you must submit proof of your then current credentials (registration or affiliation with a board, council, society or association appropriate to your profession/s (e.g. AHPRA or MCNZ details).
- 6 hours of online CPD, assessed (Annual) – On a yearly basis, you are required to read 3 expertly selected articles and answer 80% of the questions about those articles correctly. This equates to approximately 6 hours of CPD per year. All articles are selected by the IBLM Article Approval Committee or by the ASLM Education and Research Team.
- 30 additional hours of CPD, self-selected (5-Yearly) – Every 5 years, you are required to provide evidence of completing an additional 30 hours of Lifestyle Medicine-specific CPD.
Candidates enrolled in the MOC pathway who successfully complete the above requirements will be continuously Certified in Lifestyle Medicine.
If you fail to meet these requirements and/or do not enrol on the MOC pathway, you will be required to re-sit the International Board Certification exam every 10 years to retain your Certification.
The additional 30 hours of CPD required every 5 years can be self-selected and completed through any reputable provider. However, it is essential that the CPD conducted is Lifestyle Medicine-specific. We therefore recommended attending ASLM-provided conferences, workshops, summits and webinars to guarantee its suitability.
If you are unsure whether the CPD you have selected is suitable, please contact our Education Team for confirmation.
- ASLM courses or events including summits, conferences, webinars and workshops
- ACLM/ACPM Lifestyle Medicine Core Competencies (LMCC)
- Institute of Lifestyle Medicine (Harvard) online courses and live events
- Cornell certificate in plant-based nutrition
- Doane University Lifestyle Medicine Professional Certificate Program
- Doane University Certified Lifestyle Medicine Executive Micromasters Program
- Lifestyle Medicine Board Review Course
- Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma in Lifestyle Medicine – Avondale University College, Australia
- Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar, Certificate in Lifestyle Medicine
- Plant-based Nutrition – University of Winchester, UK
- Plant-based health professionals UK webinars (fortnightly)
- Masters of Lifestyle Medicine – Kaunas University, Lithuania
- Evidence based approach to Lifestyle Medicine – Institute of Population Health, Weill Cornell Medicine Qatar, Qatar
- Food as Medicine conferences (CME)
- International Plant Based Nutrition Healthcare Conferences (CME)
- ACPM conference, lifestyle medicine stream (CME)
- PCRM International Conferences on Nutrition in Medicine
- Plant-based Prevention of Disease (P-POD) Conferences
- You are required to enrol in the MOC program within 3 months of your Certification exam date. This means in 2023, enrolment in the MOC program closes on 7 December, following the exam sitting on 7 September.
- Annual CPD requirements (reading 3 expertly-selected articles and answering questions with at least 80% accuracy) must be completed by 31 December each year
- 5-Yearly CPD requirements (30 additional hours of Lifestyle Medicine-specific CPD) must be submitted for evaluation by 31 December of the year that your quinquennium (5 year period) ends
Enrol now to join the Maintenance of Certification program
Please note if you wish to enrol in the MOC program, you are required to do so within 3 months of your Certification exam date. If you don’t enrol within this timeframe you will be required to resit the international Board Certification exam every 10 years to retain your Certification.